- Read. Read other people's blogs, read the papers, read books, read anything you can get your hands on. This not only makes you more intelligent, but helps you to be exposed to different writing styles. Keep track in a notebook of any words or phrases you find interesting. I like to collect words and their meanings. This expands my vocabulary and for me is just plain fun. I know, kind of weird, but I've found some great words in my collection.
- Make use of Google Alerts. Go to Google and set up email alerts an any subject or keyword and receive a daily email of the top searches for these words. This is a great way to stay current and know what is being said about your topics.
- Be personable. Don't be stiff in your writing for your blog. Save that for your technical articles. Write like you are speaking to a friend. After all you want your readers to feel part of your community so write in a relaxed personal style, you know like you're having coffee and discussing the news.
- Do your homework and make sure your facts are correct. Take time to do research if you are unsure of the facts of your story. You want to sound like you know what you're talking about so don't guess and use reliable sources not just other blogs.
- Write. Practice writing. Join a writing group and write. Post a new blog everyday if you can, a paragraph or two is enough, or at least three times a week. Not only does this increase readership but your blog will be picked up by the search engines if it is active.
Saturday, December 11, 2010
5 Ways to Be a Better Blogger
A blog can serve many purposes for you. It can be an SEO tool, a platform to state your opinions and it can also help to set up up as an expert in your field. Blogs are powerful tools to drive traffic to your website, build community and connect with your readers. If you want to be an effective blogger there are some things you can do to improve your blogging skills.